Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Slow and Steady Wins The Race

Okay. 

The baby is born!

Which means I can attend to my goals again. 

I don't know how realistic of a goal this is, but I would like to be back into my skinny jeans by Christmas. 

Now, I am breast feeding, so I know I still need extra calories, and lets be honest, I never have been one to diet. Or count calories. 

And I have not yet received the go ahead on exercising yet. 

But I was told to walk. 

And so beginning tomorrow, I am going to walk. And no, this isn't a procrastination kind of thing. It is too late tonight. I think I may carry my hand weights while I walk to do a little toning as well. 

Next week I go in for my post partum appointment and hopefully will receive the go ahead for exercise. And then I can get busy at the gym again. 

As per all my pregnancies, I gained a lot of weight. Again, I topped at 208 lbs. I haven't been on a scale since then, but have been eating sweets like they are going out of style, so I need to remedy that. Because of that, I worry I will be at 208 still when I go in for my checkup. 

Not a pretty thing. 

So, tonight I decided to stop aiding the invasion of the fub and actually do something about it. 

When I was pregnant, I drank a soda nearly every day. I tried to stop, but it helped me not be immobilized by headaches. The caffeine really helped. As soon as Beth was born, I quit drinking soda, though, only having one since then. That should help losing the fub, right?

I know I should give up sweets like I did the soda, but I also know setting possible goals is important and I will not have the will-power to completely give up sweets. At least not right off the bat. And so I have decided to limit myself to one treat a day. 

Because we have a box of twinkles lying around. And another of ice cream sandwiches. 

And when those are gone, I will cut out HFCS. And then try to wean myself off processed sugars. 

This is going to be an uphill battle, I know. Especially with Halloween right around the corner and my favorite candy coming out. Oh candy corn, how you plague me with your tempting sweetness. Sigh. 

So, this is my game plan: 

TRY to get enough sleep. Lack of sleep increases a sugar craving. 

Eat fruit or something high protein when a sugar craving hits. 

One treat a day for now. 

Go on a walk daily. 

Do some strength training daily. 

Only eat when hungry, and enough to fill me. Listen to my body as a guide, not my plate, and certainly not my tongue. 

Drink more water. 

I am drinking a ton of water now, I am doing about 130 oz a day, but that is because breast feeding makes me super thirsty. If I can keep that up, or even up it, it should help with my cravings. 

I think that should about do it. If I can stick to this, I should be good for the time being!  I will check back in a week with my stats and hopeful the okay from my doctor on exercising!

No comments: